THE PLS WEEKLY COMMUNICATOR
SCHOOL: (253) 537-1901
CHURCH: (253) 537-5492
EXTENDED CARE: (253) 720-4405
“What a Friend We Have in Jesus”
April 3, 2020
THE PLS COMMUNICATOR IS YOUR PRIMARY SOURCE OF INFORMATION
REMOTE LEARNING AT PLS
During Governor Inslee’s press conference last night, after he extended the “Stay At Home” order until May 4, he noted that his team is discussing the next steps for schools. We are expecting an announcement with more details next week. In the meantime, may the Lord continue to guide us, as we work together in our common goal to provide our children with a Christ-centered education.
2019/20 YEARBOOK DEADLINE – THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 4
If you have not yet placed an order for a yearbook, orders can still be placed online. To order online, go to https://ybpay.lifetouch.com/Order/SelectJob (Yearbook ID Code 13089420). The deadline for orders is still April 4.
A Note from our Yearbook Editor: As we finish up the PLS Yearbook for the 2019-20 school year, we thought it might be nice to have a page in it about our virtual/remote learning period at PLS. This is something that our kids will most definitely remember for the rest of their lives, and now will be able to look back on in their 2019-20 PLS yearbook. Please take a moment and send us a picture or two of your child during this virtual learning time at home, and we will try and share as many as we can in our PLS yearbook.
Please send all photos to the following email: email@example.com
For easy access to your child’s remote learning classroom links, please visit the School News page or your child’s Gradelink account.
Weekly Chapel services are now available to view on Vimeo! Please click here to access our weekly Chapel services. If you would like to contribute to our Chapel offerings, please click here.
- Additional Chapel Services will be available to view on following dates:
- Good Friday, April 10
- Wednesday, April 22
- Wednesday, April 29
PARKLAND LUTHERAN CHURCH SERVICES
Please click here to access our live-stream Church Services, every Sunday, at 10:30am. Due to the “shelter in place” order, this will be a closed service (no congregational assembly). We will use Rite 2 (pp. 60-71, 85-87) in the front of your child’s hymnary. If you would like to have additional copies of the hymnary for your family, please email or call the church office (253) 537-5492 to order ($15 new; free for not-so-gently used). Each week’s service folder will also be available to download under the Livestream screen. Previously recorded services and chapel services are also available to view at a later time on Vimeo.
Bible Study: The Sunday morning Bible Study through the Gospel according to St. Matthew will continue with Pr. Sparley, but as a live stream. To watch on Zoom, at 9:15 AM on Sundays, click here, or use Meeting ID: 175508986 on the Zoom app. To view previously recorded bible study classes, please click here.
Holy Week Services: We would like to invite everyone to attend the live-streamed Holy Week Services listed below.
- Palm Sunday Service: April 6, at 10:30am
- Maundy Thursday Service: April 9, at 6:30pm
- Good Friday Tenebrae: April 10, at 7:30pm
- Easter Saturday Vigil Service: April 11, at 8:00pm
- Easter Sunday Service: April 12, at 10:30am
Offering: If you would like to give an offering to support the work of the Gospel that is being carried out at Parkland Lutheran Church, please click here.
There will be no remote learning Monday, April 13, thru Friday, April 17, due Easter Break. Remote learning will resume Monday, April 20.
HELP SUPPORT PARKLAND LUTHERAN SCHOOL
Due to the impact of COVID-19 on communities, Thrivent Financial is hosting a $1 million dollar online donation challenge supporting their qualifying schools and organizations. They will match $1 for every $2 donated through June 30, 2020 or until the $500,000 has been exhausted. This will turn your $20 donation into $30 or your $100 into $150! All donations must be made through their website. You don’t need to be a member to donate!
- Click on here: Donate Now
- Then, once directed to Thrivent Financial, click on the red Donate Now button under the COVID-19 Relief box in the upper right hand corner.
- Type Parkland Lutheran School into the Search Organizations box. It will bring a search result with our school name. (Our address is 120 123rd Street South, Tacoma 98444.)
- Click the Make a Personal Donation button, if you are not a Thrivent Member.
- You will be re-directed to the VanCo website to make your donation.
- Click the Log in to Direct Now button, if you are a Thrivent Member.
- Members- remember, if you want to use your Choice Dollars, they will expire at the end of the month.
- Thrivent will return your donation to Parkland Lutheran School in the form of a check plus their 50% matching within 10 days.
If you are considering making a donation during this $1 million online donation challenge, we encourage you to do so soon. Due to the generosity of so many, Thrivent has already used more than half of the matching funds. If you are not able to give financially at this time, we understand and appreciate your prayers.
Registration Day for the 2020-21 school year has been moved to Wednesday, June 3. Registration fees can be paid that night, but do not need to be paid until August 1, or before a student will be admitted into school for the school year.
Please note: Registration fees will not be accepted without complete paperwork; however, you do not need to pay any registration fees in order to turn in paperwork, although there are considerable discounts for early payment. See below for updated information about early payment discounts.
- Updated 2020-2021 Registration Fee Discount Dates:
- Full Day Registration Paid By June 5, 2020: $290
- Full Day Registration Paid After June 5, 2020: $410
- Half Day Registration Paid By June 5, 2020: $145
- Half Day Registration Paid After June 5, 2020: $205